Senior year is an important milestone in your life and your senior portraits will be cherished memories for you and your family. To ensure that you look your best in your photos, it’s important to choose the right outfit. Here’s a quick guide for what to wear for senior portraits and what to avoid.
Pick 3 Different Senior Portrait Outfits
First, start with choosing 3 different styles of outfits that help communicate who you are and what you are celebrating. The first outfit should be a casual, everyday style. The second outfit should be more formal. The third outfit should be something that represents your personality, such as a passion, hobby or interest.
The Casual Style
- A nice pair of Jeans will look great on both guys and girls
- A pair of tennis shoes (non athletics) – usually the color white matches with pretty much anything
- A nice T-Shirt for guys or Blouse for Girls
- For girls in the summer, a nice flowy dress with a light jacket and sandals or casual heels
- For guys a casual button shirt that you can put on top of your T-shirt and leave it open
Some Examples of Casual outfits from previous senior portrait sessions:
The Formal Style
- A nice dress for girls with nice heels or dress shoes
- Some nice accessories such as neckless, watches, etc.
- A nice pair of pants (guys or girls) with a button shirt (guys) or a nice T-shirt with a blazer
Some Examples below of a more formal style:
The Personality Style
This is where you show the camera what you love in life! It can be your passion such as cars or off roading. Or maybe you’d like to highlight your high school sports team such as soccer, cheerleading, basketball, etc. You can even showcase your hobbies and interests like rock climbing or art. Don’t be afraid to be creative!
Also, bring your cap and gown if you have them! We can include them in the session!
Always choose outfits that will make you comfortable and confident in front of the camera for your senior portrait session. I know that being in front of the camera can be intimidating so if you wear an outfit you’re not sure about might make you feel even more intimidated. Now, don’t worry and wear something you love – I am known to make people feel super comfortable in front of the camera!
Additional Tips on What To Wear for Senior Portraits:
- Wear layers – we can create a lot of different look if you bring a jacket, or a sweater, or a button shirt, etc.
- Consider the location of your photo shoot when choosing what to wear for senior portraits. A formal outfit might look out of place in nature but great in a city setting.
- Choose outfits that you know and love. Senior photos should be a true reflection of who you are, and you should feel comfortable and confident in what you’re wearing.
- Don’t overdo it! Don’t wear too much makeup. I prefer less makeup than too much. If you want to book a professional hair and make up artist for your senior photos, this is completely doable – tell me and I will book everything for you with a trusted vendor.
- Don’t do Spray Tanning. This can quickly become less flattering for your photos and make your skin look not natural. If you see my photography style, I go for a more natural and bold look using great lighting that will be the most flattering for you.
- Play with Solid Colors. Solid colors like blue, white, grays, and black will photograph best and work well with most backgrounds. If you wear a shirt with a lot going on such as big brand logos, big graphic T-Shirts, it might take the attention away.
- Go for Simple Jewelry and Accessories. A simple necklace and earrings, or your everyday watch will work best. Avoid wearing too much jewelry or obnoxious ones. Senior pictures are here to show you and your personality and we don’t want to take the attention away from you.
- Ask me! You have a doubt about your outfit or what to wear for your senior portraits? You have questions about your session? Send me a message and I will answer as soon as possible. I am here for you and want you to have the best time at your senior session.
Most Important Advice: HAVE FUN! The Senior Session is supposed to be a super relaxed and fun time, so wear something you feel comfortable and confident. Of course, you can bring friends if you’d like to, or even your puppy! I’d love to include your pets in your senior photos.
Looking for more tips and advice? Check out my top 8 tips for planning your senior photo portraits!
If you are located in Western Colorado and are looking for a Colorado senior portrait session, you are in the right place! Hey, I’m Julien a senior portrait photographer and I’m so excited to discuss your dream senior session.
add a comment